I just completed the first week of Small Business Camp for Youth! Wow! We had a great time!
Big thanks to the students and staff at Monroe college for providing the space and supporting the students.
The next big project is to learn how to create videos that promote your business idea. Visit http://www.youtube.com/create to gain access to several programs that allow you to upload and edit a video. My favorite is http://www.onetruemedia.com/
I would like you to make the following 60-second videos:
1. Happy Dance: Tell me your name, age, city and then show me how you would dance if your company just made $1 million dollars. I know that I would be happy. So, show your best moves and let’s dance!
2. Business Commercial: Introduce yourself and explain why someone should buy your product/service or visit your wordpress.com website. For example, “Hi, my name is Ashley. I’m 16 and I live in the Bronx. Do you have a younger sister or brother who is always bothering you? Well, I made a t-shirt that says, “I Love You But Don’t Touch My Stuff Without Permission” Get this t-shirt now and get people to stop touching your stuff. You can order my t-shirt and other items atwww.cafepress.com/ashley. That’s www.cafepress.com/ashley BYE!”
Be creative with the commercial. Feel free to add any props or include a friend. Ask around to see who has a video camera or cell phone that would allow you to record these videos.
In a few days, I will be launching a social media website for you to connect with each other and gain support from a mentor.
Here’s a quick summary of what we have covered thus far.
1. Open a professional gmail.com account. Go from “email@example.com” to “Ashley29@gmail.com”
2. Create a student account on Paypal.com. Learn more at https://personal.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=marketing_us/student_accounts
3. Learn how to use Google Docs. Check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_hJ3R8jEZM
4. Develop a design to sell on www.cafepress.com or www.zazzle.com
5. Launch a website with www.wordpress.com. Learn how to do it at http://learn.wordpress.com/
6. Design a flyer for your business with Google Docs or any other page layout program.
7. Upload a video to Youtube.com and edit it with http://www.onetruemedia.com/
You can view videos of our past shows at http://smallbusinesscamp.com/youthbizcamp/. Just select the VIDEOS tab that is next to the CHAT tab located at the top-right hand side of the video player.
This week is our final week. We have our products. Now it’s time to start selling. Let’s see who can make the most amount of money. Start your engines!
See ya online!
Small Business Camp